Saturday, June 23, 2012

Chesed vs. Gevurah



Chesed is the Hebrew word for loving-kindness, and is the chief attribute that our father Abraham was known for. He was given to hopitality and so entertained angels. Gevurah is strength, a strength that is often associated with divine judgment.

To me, Chesed is seen in the mother-figure, a nurturer, one who cares for the weak and the young. Gevurah is seen in the father-figure, the man behind the rod of discipline who in obedience to HaShem chastens his son as needed. This is not to say that these characteristics are exclusive to these figures, rather they are a-typical.

In everyday life it is Chesed that moves you to give to the guy on the corner with the cardboard sign. On the other hand, it is Gevurah that argues that the recipient is not worthy and will misuse the gift.
I work in a retail center and rarely a day passes when I do not see one of these men with their sign. I rarely impart my earnings for my Gevura usually wins the argument over my compasssionate Chesed.

I was recently approached by a man in the parking lot who asked me about the numerus carseats in my van (I have eight children) to whom I replied, "Yes, they are all mine." Then he asked me about my faith, if I was Jewish ( I wear a large knit kipa) to which I responded," Yes." He said he knew some Jews in New York where he was from and then told me he was stranded. He asked me for some cash, so I gave him more than he asked for. My Chesed won over my Gevurah. Perhaps he moved me because he asked about my family and my faith. Later in the day a co-worker pointed to the same man walking out of the store with a six-pack of beer and told me that he had seen him asking people for money in the parking lot. I did not mention that I had contributed to the purchase. 

I have heard it said that HaShem blesses the giver regardless of how the gift is used. Is this true? Solomon said, "Give to him who asks of you." This is Chesed.

So we have a struggle between Chesed and Gevurah where there should not be one. Rather they should be inter-dependant. One should temper the other. Every opportunity to shower goodness upon someone should be assessed in terms of the recipient's merit. Sound too harsh? Yeshua said, "Do not throw your pearls before swine!" If you give your money (to which you used precious life to earn) to those who waste it, it is you who have actually profaned your life. If you give it to someone you know is in real need, or to the work of the ministry, you sanctify it and thereby sanctify your life which you are giving away.

I would like to thank the rabbis at Chabad.org for their inspiration for this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment